Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 11:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading vmware FreeBSD 3.4 to 4.0-STABLE

I must be missing something simple.

I'm trying to upgrade 3.4 (which was originally 3.2) to 4.0-STABLE
running in vmware on NT4.0ws.  The drive is scsi but on boot
FreeBSD has always said "changing root device to wd0s1a".  The
"ide" drive (image) on which FreeBSD runs is dedicated.

I have done everything in accordance with /usr/src/UPDATING (the
sources are May 14).  I have newly created character devices for
both the wd disks and ad disks.  (I deleted the block devices, which
may have been a mistake.)  I initially tried ad0s1a in /etc/fstab
but this didn't work at all, so I changed it back to wd0s1a, but
left the e and f partitions ad0s1e and ad0s1f.

I can't mount e and f read-write and I can't find any incantation
that will mount wd0s1a or ad0s1a readable; I get a message that
specified device does not match mounted device.  While the mount
command seems to who ad0s1e and f writable (softupdates is running),
they're not.

But I can mount ad0s1a on /mnt writable (so I do have access to this
file system).  The disklabels for ad0s1a and wd0s1a are identical
except for the first line of each in a saved file, #/dev/wd0c and
#/dev/ad0c.

Possibly I need to relabel the disks?

	Annelise