Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:10:13 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mundie, Perens, GPL, BSD etc again

David Johnson said on Jun 12, 2001 at 11:00:13:
> > Which is, obviously, not an unjustified impression.  Though I have
> > never understood this attitude.  What's the point of fighting linux?
> > It's not the real enemy (or any kind of enemy).
>
> Advocates of any OS always fight the advocates of any other OS. It's a
> law of nature. Go to the Linux advocacy sites and see what they say
> about BSD, or a Debian advocacy site to see what they say about Redhat.

True.  However, the "public face" of linux right now is the big
companies like Red Hat, and I haven't heard them criticise SuSE
or Mandrake in public.  So magazines like ZDNet don't carry
anti-RedHat quotes from Debian users, and such statements
don't tend to damage the linux community as a whole.

FreeBSD doesn't have such a public face, so a journalist looking to
find out about it will probably go to a search engine.  The FreeBSD
web page isn't very flashy, so he may dig through the mailing list
archives, or do web searches for comparisons with linux.  So the raw
comments are the first thing he sees.

Moreover, the anti-Red Hat comments by Debian users are criticisms of
how RH bundles its system, not of the software itself (which is mostly
the same) and not of the license (where Red Hat is almost as
fastidious as Debian, though SuSE and Caldera aren't).  The anti-linux
statements in BSD lists/sites are much more broad-ranging and often
philosophical rather than technical.