Date:      Fri, 03 Jun 2011 13:50:56 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware sensors on FreeBSD

I was wondering if anyone knew of better software for FreeBSD for
monitoring hardware sensors like CPU temp and fan speeds.  I'm using an
athlon II x4 and the amdtemp driver seems like it's 20C below what it
really is but does change.  I've tried using mbmon and it detects the
it87 chip but it never updates.  It's as if whatever temps it finds at
boot are what it'll always show, and the fan speed listed is a quarter
of what it really is.  I tried stress linux to test lmsensors to make
sure it wasn't a motherboard issue and lmsensors works relatively fine.
  The voltages are junk but temperature seems accurate and varies with
the load.  I've yet to see any update about the openbsd sensors
framework, and I imagine the patch is so old it won't apply cleanly.

Is there a better method to monitor system health under FreeBSD or am I
stuck with decade old software and a kernel driver that's off by 20C?