Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 19:00:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wwwcount-2.3

On Sun, 10 Nov 1996, Dave Babler wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >
> > I've checked, and if everyone running 2.1 and 2.1.5 would grab a copy of
> > current's bsd.port.mk, it has no negative impact, and will eliminate the
> > majority of build failures for new ports.  There are a small subset of
> > ports that depend on differences in /usr/include and whatnot, but that's a
> > real small subset.
> >
> > Good Advice: update your bsd.port.mk file in /usr/share/mk.
> >
> I'm running 2.1.5-stable and just grabbed the bsd.port.mk file for
> -current. I'd had problems before making the slang-lynx (2.6) port and was
> informed that the ports collection now only applied to -current. The mak
> breaks in exactly the same place as it used to - it cannot apply any of
> the patches.
>
> Is this port of lynx one of the real small subset, or is something else
> hosed here?

BTW, I think you can recognize if you're hitting the "small subset" by
noting the kind of error you're getting.  If it's a compile error, and
spit out from gcc, then you're probably hitting the version problem.  I've
seen some things that were dependent on some changed files in /usr/include
do this.

Mostly, tho, the errors you'll see are kicked out by make itself, and
those should be fixed by updating the bsd.port.mk file.  I really do think
everyone ought to update their bsd.port.mk.

I think that what I see above is none of the above, either the port is
busted or you don't have a complete port you're working with, and I won't
know until I see your error listing.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |