Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 1996 23:59:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is this security hole being fixed??

: Some of the other things are very questionable. I can break a standard
: Sun Solaris 2 machine in about 2 minutes from a shell prompt and about 10
: otherwise unless the user is applying patchkits very fast. Currently I can
: break almost any BSD derived system because of a bug CERT haven't yet
: even published.

This would be the "you can bind to a specific port that has a
IN_ADDR_ANY binding already" bug?  That is a "feature" of the OS that
is designed to override generic daemons with specific ones.  To make
this change would be to change the way that sockets work.  Not that
this is a bad thing, but everyone should know this is a design change.
The other way to fix it is to have your daemons that run as root bind
to all the interfaces, like newer named daemons do.  You *ESPECIALLY*
want to do this for all daemons that run on ports > 1023, since you
don't have to be root to bind to those sockets.

In the case of NFS it is rather, well, a large gaping hole for reasons
that should be obvious to most people...

Or is this some other problem?

Warner

P.S.  Is freebsd-security still active?  Should this go there?