Date:      Sun, 18 May 2014 13:12:02 +0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?QWxpIE9rYW4gWcOcS1NFTA==?= <kaox.gen@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard reset impacts on ufs file system

On 5/16/14, 10:44 PM, Ali Okan YÜKSEL wrote:
> incident:
> ==
> file corruption after hard reset on FreeBSD 8.3
>

> details:
> ==
> Hard reset examined on freebsd 8.3. after reboot libncurses.so.8 was 0
> byte. And I couldn't login to system. It gave me error message about
> /bin/sh - libncurses.so.8 corruption. (libncurses depens /bin/sh I guess)
> I found the problem by using fixed shell.
>

> solution:
> ==
> I copied libncurses.so.8 from another system. When I did it problem solved.
Unfortunattely libraries do seem to be one of the more common
victims of this sort of thing but I have never worked out how.
However,as you said, recovery is relatively easy by booting single
user and specifying /rescue/sh as your shell.

> question:
> ==
> Is it known situation? Did you ever live a problem like this?
yeas I have seen similar. I don't know why libraries are in that state
though.