Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:42:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/sys/scripts?

On 19-Oct-01 Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Friday, 19 October 2001 at  1:04:12 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>> Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com> writes:
>>> Most folks will probably not analyze the crashdumps, or they will copy
>>> them off somewhere else so they can free up /var/crash for the next
>>> crashdump, so I'd say stick .gdbinit somewhere else.
>>
>> /usr/src/share/misc or /usr/src/sys/conf might be good choices then.
>> /usr/src/sys/scripts sounds like a good idea, I don't like the idea of
>> creating a new directory just for one teeny little file.
>
> No, there are a number of files in there, and I expect more to
> arrive.  I'm prepared to discuss the point, though.  /sys/scripts has
> the advantage that it's compatible with BSD/OS, which I don't suppose
> we have to over-emphasize.

One thing I would suggest is to create several .gdbinit.foo files for different
functionality so that one can create a custom .gdbinit simply by including the
desired set of .gdbinit.foo files.  Thus making it easier for people who
already have a hacked .gdbinit to use these new functions as well.  Note that
some of the functions may very well end up being very MD (such as the manual
stack traces of other pids by examining the stack, etc.) so we might want to
think about a way of handling MD scripts vs. MI scripts.