Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:03:21 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.2 on a ThinkPad 360c [keyboard not working]

>> I am attempting to get FreeBSD 3.2 and/or 4.0 to go on a TP 360c.  The
>> problem I am having is that the keyboard works all the way up to sysinstall.
>> I can use the keyboard in the visual kernel config/etc.  I searched and foun
>> under 2.2 they suggested setting flags 0x10 on syscons.  0x10 isn't document
>ed
>> to do anything uner 3/4 but I tried anyway, nothing.  I also noticed that
>> flags 0x04 and 0x02 may be some use (on atkbc).  I tried 0x4, 0x2, and 0x6 t
>> no avail.  help?
>
>Here are some additional details... I tried the 2.2.8-RELEASE install with
>the flags  of '0x10' on sc0.  That worked OK.  I dug through the CVS repo
>and I have discovered that those are the XT keyboard options (flags 0x04
>on atkbd).  so I went into the CLI config on the 3.2-STABLE bootdisk at
>turned those flags on BOTH atkdb0 at atkbdc0 (just in case), still no luck.

The flag 0x04 (ALT_SCANCODESET for the XT keyboard) is for atkbd (AT
keyboard driver).  It is not for atkbdc (keyboard controller driver).

>I have looked at the source for 2.2 syscons and 3.2 atkbd and I can not see
>what the difference is in the codeset initialization and keyboard translation
>for the 2 types.  I would like to try 3.0-RELEASE, but I cannot find anything
>that old ;)

You are quite right that the code in question was just moved from sc
to atkbd and there is essentially no difference between the two
versions.

This is the first time that I hear the flag 0x10 for sc works in 2.X,
but the flag 0x4 for atkbd does not in 3.1 or later :-(  I think
I heard just last month that the flag works for ThinkPad 360CE...

You say the keyboard works the kernel config menu and up to sysinstall,
but it does not work in sysinstall and you cannot install the OS.
Would you see if hitting the CAPS LOCK key changes the CAPS LED light?

Kazu