Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 14:17:33 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>, Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Wrapping Sendmail [was: Re: DNS Setup]

>See below...
>
>> > I have sendmail allowed in /etc/hosts.allow.  I have mx records in all the
>                ^^^^^^^^^^
>Sendmail doesn't usually get wrapped with tcp_wrappers (ie
>/etc/hosts.[allow|deny]) so I don't think you need to worry about putting
>that in there.  It would depend on how sendmail was compiled too (if it has
>the ability to use tcp_wrappers libs in the compilation)

Running version 3.4, I thought that "wrapping" became an automatic feature,
that no longer needed to be enabled?  Also, the buliding of the system
autocreated (I believe) an example of /etc/hosts.allow.  I used that file
as my basis, and in that file was:

# Sendmail can help protect you against spammers and relay-rapers
sendmail : localhost : allow
sendmail : ALL : allow

So, I'm assuming that sendmail belongs within the hosts.allow file, unless
I'm missing something?  I guess, another question for this would be "how do
you use this to prevent spammers/relay-rapers?  Do you deny everyone other
than your local host?  Since if you do, won't that prevent all mail from
coming in?"

Thanks again all,
John