Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 12:44:38 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@dlee.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD support of RealTek sound chips (HP box)?

I recently encountered an HP computer with what I regard as a unique
built-in sound system based on RealTek chips:  It breaks out (under
Windows XP anyway) into five devices:  one playback device and four
recording devices.  Most sound systems present one device with both
record and playback channels.  Since FreeBSD seems to have trouble
in many cases with simultaneous record and playback on the same
device, I thought this might actually be a significant benefit under
FreeBSD compared to more conventional chipsets... but it would be
difficult to test my theory on this, the only such box I have seen.
I'm asking the list because, if this works, I'll probably buy a box
just like it for myself.

Please Cc me directly.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@dlee.org        http://www.dlee.org