Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 14:03:01 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?David_L=E1zaro?= <khelekir@encomix.es>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Convince me, please...

Well from the view of another newbie, I gave up messing with various linuxes
after months of utter frustration with the totally unintelligible verbiage
that passes
for documentation in that world ..... BSD stuff is still way beyond me but
at least
there are a few things I can comprehend and unlike most linuxes I have tried
figure out, there does seem to be an attempt by experts here to help
newbies.
The mere mention of "commercial" operating systems in the linux mailing
lists will
start a religious war to rival anything the world has seen .... but at least
many of
the inhabitants here seem to be significantly more open minded .... after
all, its a
matter of "horses for courses"  and what suits one user is not necessarily
the ideal
solution for another.

Another issue that convinced me to change to BSD was the need in linux to r
re-compile the kernel every time I wanted to enable some function like
routing
or SMP or whatever ..... whereas it seems most of that stuff is already
enabled
in proper unixes like BSD, Solaris et al. I personally still can't see BSD
being
usable in regular office workstation situations generally until someone
comes up
with a good GUI interface (and I don't mean amateur level stuff like KDE
that
locks up solid periodically)