Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2013 15:40:00 GMT
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/177309: sysinstall 'All' distribution selection attempts to install DEBUG kernel

The following reply was made to PR amd64/177309; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To: Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/177309: sysinstall 'All' distribution selection attempts to
 install DEBUG kernel
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:35:02 -0500

 On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wro=
 te:
 > I copied the 8.4-BETA1 directory from the dvd1 ISO and it's contents to a=
  web server in DocumentRoot at pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/.  Booted a VM to=
  the ISO and selected HTTP Direct for the media type and entered the URL wi=
 thout a URI.

 > Selecting "All" as to which distributions to install, sysinstall proceeds=
  until it opens a dialog stating "Unable to transfer the DEBUG distribution=
  from http://$URL.  Do you want to try to retrieve it again?". I chose "No"=
  and it continue.

 > As for the DEBUG distribution, I previously asked for sysinstall to have =
 the ability to install a 2nd kernel (Do you remember, Devin?), which we cal=
 l DEBUG internally.  Naturally, unless someone generates it, the DEBUG dist=
 ribution will not exist in FreeBSD media generated outside of my company.

 This is a known issue that was mentioned in the announcement for the
 testing of 8.4-BETA1:

 :

 > 2) Selecting 'All' on the 'Choose Distributions' screen attempts to
 >    install a DEBUG kernel which is not present in the image so the
 >    installation will fail.  Just select one of the other distributions
 >    ("Developer", "Kern-Developer", "User", etc).

 --=20
 DISCLAIMER:

 No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.