Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha/17642: FreeBSD/alpha 4.0 RELEASE installation fails with cant  find init

The following reply was made to PR alpha/17642; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, dkleinh@phy.ucsf.edu
Subject: Re: alpha/17642: FreeBSD/alpha 4.0 RELEASE installation fails with cant
 find init
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:38:26 +0200

 Received the following information <see quote>. For the time being
 I've commited a warning to both 4.x and -current in INSTALL.TXT for the
 alpha. At least people have an opportunity to -know- what hurts them
 (assuming they read docs ;-)

 Wilko

 <quote>
 I had seen those posts and as a matter of fact, last week I wiped all my
 disks of BSD disk labels and was able to install.  I don't know where
 this
 information should be put, but I think it definitely needs to be
 documented until it is fixed.  The problem seems to be the existence of
 BSD disklabel on other disks, the disklabel can be from Linux, NetBSD,
 OpenBSD, Digital/Tru64 Unix - doesn't matter -- the FreeBSD install will
 give the "can't find init" error.  I installed NT and created NTFS
 partitions on my disks and then was able to install FreeBSD/alpha.

 Dirk
 </quote?>
 --
 Wilko Bulte  	 	http://www.freebsd.org  "Do, or do not. There is no try"