Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 02:05:35 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meredith" <hmv@meredithm.fsnet.co.uk>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: security question

If you have a good switch you can install MAC
address filters that will block this.  These tools
work by overflowing the switch's MAC address tables and
thus make them start acting like dumb hubs.  But, a
really good switch (not the $1.99 5 porters from
Fry's) can let you install a filter that will shut
down this nonsense, or at least alert you when someone's
trying it.

It ought to be mentioned that on a very busy and large
switch with several hundred ports (like a slotted hub)
if you screw with these tools the network will run dog slow - someone is
gonna notice.