Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 13:02:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Still more dialin problems

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Doug White wrote:

> Perhaps you didn't enable the getty on that port?

Oh, it's enabled, although after I wrote that message, I did yet more
testing, and found something else out.  After the modem answers the line,
the getty process dies, and a new one immediately starts up.  It's almost
as if getty is calling login, but somehow failing, and then it just drops
the DTR line, making the modem hang up.  I can't say for sure, though,
especially in light of the fact that even dialing into Minicom on the
FreeBSD box isn't working.  I get a connection, but garbage after that.
Are any particularly special ownerships and permissions required for login
and getty?  Here's what they are on my system:

[279]data@ds9:/home/data % ls /usr/bin/login
-r-sr-xr-x  1 root  bin  24576 Sep 14 21:38 /usr/bin/login*

[281]data@ds9:/home/data % ls /usr/libexec/getty
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  24576 Sep 14 21:36 /usr/libexec/getty*

I also did a "strings" on getty, and it looks to be calling
/usr/bin/login, so I don't think it's not finding login:

[282]data@ds9:/home/data % strings /usr/libexec/getty | grep login
ppplogin
login
_login_tty
login:
/usr/bin/login

> Perhaps your FreeBSD and NT modems hate each other?

That's what I thought at first, but I also booted my NT machine into Linux
and used Minicom on it, and got the same results.  I also get identical
results when dialing in from another outside computer.  That's why this is
so darn mystifying.