Date:      Fri, 1 May 2009 22:09:31 +0200
From:      Marta Carbone <marta@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   SoC2009: Ipfw and dummyent improvements

Hello,

  my name is Marta Carbone, I am at the first year of my PhD program in
Information Engineering at the University of Pisa.

As part of the Google SoC I will work on FreeBSD ipfw and dummynet.
My mentor is Luigi Rizzo.  The main goal of the project is to revise
and improve the ipfw and dummynet subsystems.

The project will mainly involve:

 - the kernel source code, making it more manageable, splitting large
   functions, improving the microinstruction compiler;

 - the userland kernel-interface, identifying locking issues or
   performance problems.

A more detailed version of the proposal can be found on the FreeBSD
Wiki page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/SOC2009MartaCarbone

marta