Date:      Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:17:57 -0500
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cnd.mcgill.ca>
To:        Helge Oldach <helge.oldach@atosorigin.com>
Cc:        mat@cnd.mcgill.ca
Subject:   Re: Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

On Mar 05, Helge Oldach wrote:
> Daniel O'Connor:
> >On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:06, Helge Oldach wrote:
> >> The issue with kldloading is that you still need PNPBIOS for many
> >> on-board sound devices. Which means that you need to compile your own
> >> kernel anyway, or don?t you?
> >
> >I don't think I've ever seen a motherboard/BIOS where you HAD to
> >compile it in the kernel..
>
> I have a number of Compaq DeskPro EN K450 here. Rather decent machines
> for FreeBSD desktops, and for sure not uncommon hardware. But
> unfortunately the stupid Compaq BIOS doesn't have a knob to turn off
> PnP, so I have to rely on PNPBIOS to deal with what the Compaq BIOS had
> detected.

	Helge,
	Are you required to compile sound in the kernel to get it to
work?  If so, then I will document the fact that in some unsual
circumstances that including sound statcily in the kernel is needed,
otherwise I intend to de-emphesize it.

	--Mat

	--Mat

--
	The beaver, which has come to represent Canada as the eagle
	does the United States and the lion Britain, is a