Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:31:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mandatory locking?

:Questions:
:
:1.  Do we have some form of mandatory locking?  If so, what is it?

    No we don't, unless you count the ad-hoc lockout in the master/slave pty
    interface :-).

:2.  Would it make sense to implement System V's fcntl semantics?
:    They're rather tacky: you set the setgid bit and reset the group
:    exec bit of the file permissions.

    Ugh.  Yuch.  No, nothing to do with permission bits, not for something
    this convoluted!

:3.  Alternatively (or additionally), would it make sense to have an
:    additional fcntl function which performs mandatory locking?
:
:I think that it's probably a good idea to implement (3), and also to
:do (2), possibly subject to a sysctl knob.
:
:Greg

    Well, #3 can't be mandatory if you have to make a fcntl call!  You mean
    have one program make a fcntl call that causes other programs to
    return an error or block if they try to open that file while the first
    program holds an open descriptor?

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>