Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:18:45 -0500
From:      Michael Nix <mike.nix@amd.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd 2.1.5 installation

Hello,

     I just bought a new PC system on which I am trying to install
     FreeBSD 2.1.5.  I have a 486 system with an Adaptec 2940 SCSI
     adapter, two disk-drives and a CD_ROM drive.  The "C" is is 2.1G
     for DOS.  The other drive is 1.2G for FreeBSD.  The  CD-ROM
     drive is a Plexar-4x.

     I am performing the install after booting the machine from a
     boot-floppy.  The disk-partitioning, disk-labeling, and
     distribution-selection goes just fine.  But, when data is being
     copied from the CD-ROM to the hard-drive, I get some error
     messages of the form:  Trouble extracting /bin from cd0a.  Do you
     want to try again?  I get a number of the maeesages, and the
     installation fails.

     I have no problems with the CD-ROM drive for other applications.
     Is it possible that the Walnut-Creek CD-ROM is defective?
     Could my hard-drive have a problem?  Or the most likely case:
     Operator error.  What am I doing wrong?

         Any help would be appreciated.     Thank you,

                                            Michael Nix
                                            AMD, Austin
                                            September 17, 1996
                                                          12:19 p. m.