Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 22:38:41 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        FREEBSD-DOC@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spell-checker for dyslexics (was Re: spelling question)

On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 12:38:42AM -0800, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, jonathan michaels wrote:
>
> > my question has multiple partsm but the simple version is, is thier a spelling
> > checker that has a 'trainable' spelling checking algotithm ? what i mean is
> > something like .. er um, a spell checker that will take a dsylex'd or speld
> > word and replace it with the correct spelling.
>
> This is probably better suited for freebsd-questions, so I'm redirecting
> it there in case someone there has additional input.

i will move to freebsd-questions for followup. with thanks.

but, on the other hand, well latter in post, ok.

> I don't know of any program that will do that, but it's not that difficult
> a problem, so I'd bet that one either exists or could be fairly easily
> written.  You might want to check some site that lists Linux software, and
> see if there's something like what you're looking for. Linux's user base
> is larger, so software targeted at a special need like yours tends to

over teh years, since linux kernel v0.91 i've asked this question in various
releveant linux forums ... teh reanges of responce, "learn how to spell you
d...head", "it is easy to write one, what are you lazy ?".

in documentation circles (such as freebsd-dco), i've lost my thread, drats.
anyway of all teh places where such informatiion  would be cogent, this is
wherer it would be. it us unfortunately a fairly specific need and unless you
need it you are not go to go hunting.

> appear for it first, but will probably be easy to port to FreeBSD.
>
> If you want to try a very simple solution for correcting most of your
> common spelling mistakes, why not pipe your text through a sed script that
> does a search-and-replace on them?
>
> For example, to replace all occurences of the word "teh" in infile with
> "the" and put the result in outfile:
>
> sed "s/[[:<:]]teh[[:>:]]/the/g" < infile > outfile

this is an elegant solution, but one that is fraught with serious
complexities, givent hat eh dsylex cannot spell in teh forst place and would
have to find a non affected person to do the scripting ... and it would have
to be a ai interface tot eh text and ... i hope you can see wherer the nnatural
conclusion is leading.

anway, thank you brian, you have given me a thought tp followup on and i shall
put a bit of effort ... you just never knows what is lurking under that very
next stone .. grin.

regards, with thanks

jonathan