Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 22:58:52 +0200
From:      Christian Hiris <4711@chello.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's the "bridged" option in ipfw's man page ?

--Boundary-02=_YImsAYlY1X11BLE

On Monday 24 May 2004 13:04, Supote Leelasupphakorn wrote:
> Hi... lists,
>
>   I've read the "ipfw" man page and in the "RULE OPTION"
> There is "bridged" option there. I'm currently set the
> bridge-base firewall so my question is what's the bridged
> packets and how much I take advantage from this option ?
>
> TIA,
> pjn

The rule option "bridged" is used as an alias for "layer2" by the ipfw=20
command.=20

Some interesting points written in "PACKET FLOW" in man ipfw and "BUGS" in =
man=20
bridge.

Examples how the layer2 rule option could be used (I have not tested them, =
you=20
can find some more on google):

 ${fwcmd} add pass layer2 mac-type arp 	// allow arp
 ${fwcmd} add skipto 20000 layer2	// goto rules for bridged packets

 ${fwcmd} add [...]			// rules for non-bridged packets
 ${fwcmd} add deny all from any to any	// end of rules for non-bridged pack=
ets

 ${fwcmd} add 20000 [...]		// rules for bridged packets=20

regards
ch