Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:59:38 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@401.cx>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosehn <gad@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Please don't change Beastie to another crap logo such as NetBSD!!!

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

I like Beastie! I wear shirts with Beastie! I have a 45cm tall sticker
of Beastie on the front of my fridge, clearly visible to anyone that
enters my appartment. I have "Powered by FreeBSD" stickers sporting
Beastie on my laptop. I have Beastie as screensaver and as desktop
background. Still, Im not to dense to realize that there is a need for
a new logo. You, on the other hand, seem to be to dense* to realize
the difference between a logo and a mascot.

> For the last time, it is not the contest that I and others are
> objecting to.  It is what you intend to do with the results of
> the contest - that is, replace Beastie.

Not replace. Complement.

Some people would be extremely helped by a more proffesional looking
logo. Therefor, the idea was put forward to complement Beastie with a
logo useable in the commercial world. (Actually, the idea was never
presented, it was drafted and then leaked before finished). This would
mean that the people that likes Beastie can continue using it, while
the people needing a more proffesional logo would also see their needs
fullfilled.
However, some people does not need a new logo, and they seem to fight
furiously to stop a change that basically would not affect them at
all. I simply fail to understand their stand in this.

* When I call you dense I do not seriously mean to question your
intelligence. I respect you as the author of a very good book and I
value your contributions to the community as well as your opinions,
but in this matter I just find it impossible to understand your point
of view.