Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 1996 13:11:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jeffrey M. Metcalf" <jeffrey_m._metcalf@ccmail.bms.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        metcalf@imagine.com
Subject:   Backups, suggestions?

     Hello,

     From reading the installation manual for my FreeBSD 2.1 CDROM,
     I see that through the ft? Kernel option and ft manual page
     that there is some support for floppy tape backups for FreeBSD.
     I have tried a Colorado T1000 Travan backup with no luck.  I have
     also been advised through this forum before, that floppy backups are
     hopeless and that I should settle for nothing less than SCSI.
     However, the cheapest SCSI based tape drive that Dirt Cheap Drives,
     say, has in stock is $999 for a 2GB HP drive.  I simply cannot
     afford this, so I must persue another route.  I need an inexpensive
     yet reasonably convenient means of backing up data on the order of
     at least 500MB in size.  This method would need to be supported in
     both FreeBSD and Windows 95 for it to be worth my investment.

     Are there any floppy tape drives that are reported to work with
     FreeBSD?  How about removable cartridge drives?

     Thank you for any suggestions.

     JM