Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:46:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        giffunip@asme.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rayshade port

 * Some body will have to soon.  Don't forget 3.0 RELEASE is due out this
 * fall, and after Dec 98, 3.0 will be the "supported" platform for ports.

Not so fast.  It will be one of the supported platforms.  We have yet
to decide how long to support the 2.2 branch.  (That probably depends
on 3.0's reliability.)

 * > OTOH, I'm not sure if /usr/lib/aout will remain or if we will move to a
 * > complete ELF system.
 *
 * It will ALWAYS have to remain so we can have backwards compatability of
 * running 2.x binaries.

That's not what the issue.  When the Great ELF Switch is thrown and
/usr/lib is populated, ports are going to use that instead of legacy
libraries in /usr/lib/aout (which will no longer be updated by "make
world").

Ports having to use stuff in /usr/lib/aout was supposed to be only a
temorary measure, but unfortunately the vacuum has lingered so long
people are now complaining.  I surely hope it will end soon.

Satoshi