Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:31:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        dave@kachina.jetcafe.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sup-ing stable

I 've lost track of the attributions.

>>> It's still the ``STABLE'' branch, but PAST the 2.1.5 release tag...
>>> ``STABLE'' == the cvs RELENG_2_1_0 tag, so I don't want to here the
>>> cvs tag confustion again please...
>>
>> Are people still patching this tree? I thought you guys wanted to
>> freeze this code.
>
> Yes, I am still patching this tree, and if the FreeBSD project kills the
> tree I will be setting up my own area to maintain this realease.  With
> several 100 customers dependant upon being able to run this and have
> bugs fixed it would be too important to me to have support for it totally
> dropped.  If I have to go to a ``patchkit'' to do it, I will.

FreeBSD Org does send patches to CERT for security related problems.
Supping the -stable branch to acquire these patches is preferable over
a possible manual patching from the CERT announcement.

The -stable branch should be a maintenance branch.  No new features.
No new drivers.  Just fixes.

$0.02

--
Steve