Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:42:09 -0500
From:      "matthew c. mead" <mmead@goof.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   nfs read problems

	I'm having some severe problems with mounting an nfs
filesystem and using it to store applications.  From what I can
tell, it works fine via TCP NFS, but unbelievably slow.  When I
don't specify TCP, and let it use UDP, it just breaks completely.
For instance, when I'm running an application stored on the
nfs server, I see this on the wire repeatedly, and the
application never executes:

galen.narnia.math.vt.edu -> calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu NFS C READ3 FH=DC3D at 0 for 8192
calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu -> galen.narnia.math.vt.edu NFS R READ3 OK (8192 bytes)
calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu -> galen.narnia.math.vt.edu UDP continuation ID=60083
calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu -> galen.narnia.math.vt.edu UDP continuation ID=60083
calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu -> galen.narnia.math.vt.edu UDP continuation ID=60083
calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu -> galen.narnia.math.vt.edu UDP continuation ID=60083
calvin.narnia.math.vt.edu -> galen.narnia.math.vt.edu UDP continuation ID=60083

	Each time this set of packets is seen, the filehandle is
the same, yet it's reading 8192 bytes once every 10-15 seconds.
This is a 100Mbit wire, so it should be loading almost instantly.
Is there a possibility this is an ethernet card problem?

	Thanks for any help!

-matt

PS - please reply directly if possible - thanks

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@goof.com
http://www.goof.com/~mmead/