Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:45:10 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Muhammad Ali <muhammad_ali@spymac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Troubles with ports...

In the last episode (May 31), Muhammad Ali said:
> Hi, I've downloaded the complete ports collection (ports.tar.gz).
> I've extracted it in /usr. Now i go to /usr/ports/x11/kde3 and do
> make install. I get:
>
> *kde-3.2.2 depends on file: /usr/X11R6/bin/moc - not found*
> then it says:  *Found saved configuration for qt-3.3.2*
> and that qt-x11-free-3.3.2.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfile/KDE
> and it starts fetching (I can't fetch over ftp right now because i'm behind an
> authenticated proxy, i can fetch over http though but not ftp... odd but that's a
> question for another day)
>
> So, i think maybe qt-x11 needs to be build first or something. But
> when I try to go build that, it starts fetching the same file... so
> back to sqr 1...
>
> Hence my question is that why can't it find qt-x11-free-3.3.2.tar.bz2
> when i have downloaded the whole ports collection?

The ports tree is just instructions on building programs.  It doesn't
include the source.  That would add another 14GB to the size of your
download :)

You will have to manually download that file and place it in
/usr/ports/distfiles, or tell fetch about your authenticated proxy (run
'man 3 fetch', search for ENVIRONMENT).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com