Date:      Wed, 08 May 1996 19:49:33 -0400
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Copyright question

J"org:

> Just out of curiosity: what is MIL-STD-1553?

It's a military standard data bus specification.  Been around for years
and used on a variety of different things from space shuttle payloads,
to air transports and Apache helicopters, and in our lab at work.  It
peaks out at around 1 Mbit/sec I believe.  MIL-STD-1773 is the same spec
really, but over fiber-optic.  The military likes it because it's capable
of being dual redundant and deterministic in transmission times.  I haven't
heard of any new systems here at work that are using it though.  The big
push is now on COTS and ISO and industry standards.

> >  * 4. This code is only licensed for use with Condor Engineering, Inc.
> >  *    interface hardware.
>
> I think this is:
>
> * redundant -- the driver is built for a Condor Eng. board, so it's
>   certainly unusable with a BusLogic SCSI adapter or a 3Com ethernet
>   card :)

But the chip on the board is a United Technologies Corp M1553BCRTM chip
and could be used on 1553 boards by other manufacturers.  This is Condors
concern, I believe.

> * impractical -- if we are allowed to ship the driver, but its actual
>   *usage* is restricted, who will ever care for the restriction?

Agreed :)

> (Anyway, i don't think it really restricts redistribution of the
> source and/or binary code, so pending objections from more
> knowledgable people, i think it's okay.)

Terry:

> If devfs and LKM were fully integrated, you could distribute it as
> a binary loadable, no source required.  This assumes that it's not
> ever going to be used to run the console or other boot-critical
> uses (ie: somewhat limited utility).

Yes, Peter Dufault mentioned to me last year also.  Peter gave me a lot
of help when I had questions, and also reviewed the driver making some
good suggestions.  I'd like to see if I can get Condor to agree to
release the source without any unliveable restrictions, though.

Jordan:

> What is Condor trying to achieve here?  Protection of sales, right?
> More to the point, they'd like to sell this board to FreeBSD users as
> a consequence of having this driver in FreeBSD by default, assuming
> that they might be less willing to do so otherwise.  The "protection
> of sales" issue is also actually a secondary one since, up to this
> point, there _are_ no sales to protect.  So far, so good.
>
> NOW..  What influences a user's decision to buy one board over
> another?  Several things: One is naturally the cost, though in certain
> markets (and I suspect this is one of them) this is less important
> than reliability.  Another is word-of-mouth - what are people
> suggesting they buy?  This works pretty well, or vendors wouldn't be
> climbing all over one another just to get Jerry Pournelle to mention
> them in BYTE.
>
> It's my suggestion that we try and convince Condor that they've no
> existing market to protect here, nor will the eventual market size
> likely be anything to lose sleep over, and they don't need to protect
> their revenue in this fashion.  What we can give them as incentive to
> play by these more relaxed rules is some free PR and a commercial
> entry on our web pages (along with a mention in my announcement text
> for the next SNAP and the eventual 2.2 release, etc and so forth).
> I'd mention them anyway, naturally, but a willingness to play ball on
> their part will be incentive for me to mention them in a lot more
> places. :-) In other words, what they potentially lose in "protection"
> we'll try and make up for with some good word-of-mouth advertising
> since they've proven themselves to be such good guys (and gals).
>
> It's my feeling that people will then buy what they've seen mentioned,
> and if it doesn't say "supports condor and condor clones" on the web
> pages, then they're going to buy a condor rather than end up with some
> useless clone piece of junk that doesn't even work.
>
> On the flip side, those people who *do* decide to buy clones anyway
> (perhaps due to their own testing) won't be deferred by clause 4 as
> it's almost entirely unenforceable anyway.  We're not Microsoft. :-)

If you don't mind, I'd like to forward some of this to Condor in my
request for revocation of clause #4.

Dan Eischen
eischen@pcnet.com