Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 18:26:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        Robert Owen Thomas <rthomas@pamd.cig.mot.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD setup problem

On Fri, 8 Sep 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> ok, well, for a start you should look at getting a newer freebsd release.
> 2.0 is now 9 months old
> if we can build a baby in that time imagine how much
> it's been changed! :)
>
> 2.0.5 is available for ftp.
> the boot disk is a single disk. You shoud be able to ftp that
> from ftp.freebsd.org
>

> > hello, all--
> >

> > well, since i have heard FreeBSD's support is second to none...8-)
>  well we try..
>

> > i am attempting to load FreeBSD on a Zeos tower.  the configuration is:
> >      1) 486 DX2 66mhz
> ok
> >      2) 8 MB RAM
> ok
> >      3) 340 MB IDE Hard drive (all dos FAT-16)
> ok
> >      4) 573 MB CDC SCSI-1 hard drive on an Adaptec 1522 controller
> 1522 is SLOW.. don't expect performance here..
> >      5) Mitsumi IDE CD-Rom drive attached to the Mitsumi controller
> IDE cdrom support starts in -current, it came in too late for 2.0.5
> unfortunatly
> >      6) 3-1/2" Floppy drive ("a:")
> ok
> >      7) Sound Blaster Pro sound card
> no idea.. I don't do sound :)
> >
> > the problem is this:  when i insert the FreeBSD 2.0 boot floppy, everything
> > goes according to plan until it attempts to mount the floppy device as the
> > root filesystem.  it then panics and reboots.  after the reboot, my bios
> > tells me that the floppy drive is not correct.  i then enter my CMOS setup,
> > and save & exit (my floppy is, indeed, still correct in the setup).  hmmm...
> > both MS-DOS and Linux (ugh, which is worse?) load and operate without error.
> do try a newer disk..

You didn't mention the soundblister before, I think.  I had troubles with
my first one, not FreeBSD troubles, because the documentation lied about
the memory it used.  It wanted to use 0x300 for an IOADDR, while my
Adaptex wanted 0x330-0x335, which seemed ok.  It wasn't, the Soundblister
interfered with the Adaptex controller.  I moved the Adaptec controller
to it's secondary spot, at 0x130-0x135, where it ran fine, and no longer
interfered with the soundblister.

Gee, did I make a Freudian slip?  (go get a GUS card!)

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |