Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 14:40:28 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernels, panics & the debugger

>[debugger, but not in case of panic]

>> A kernel variable or something like this would be great; I would really like

>There's already such a variable available, it's currently used by the
>console to disable DDB fallback while the console is in graphics mode.
>I'm not sure if Søren has already implemented the logic in syscons
>however; i've done it for pcvt.

This variable stops all debugger entries and crashes the system (or worse)
if a breakpoint inserted by the debugger is hit (inserting breakpoints
corrupts the code and the debugger doesn't get a chance to clean up).

Better handling of trace traps is also required.  Single stepping of
syscalls starting from user mode currently causes debugger entry if ddb
is configured.  This should be disabled if ddb-on-panic is disabled and
when the screen is in graphics mode and the console uses the screen.
Single stepping of lcalls under X/pcvt must be verry sloow now :-).

Bruce