Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 10:29:30 -0500
From:      "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        "Magnus Bein" <ambein@mac.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Configuring FreeBSD v.2.2.7 with a PCI modem

----- Original Message -----
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To: "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>; <ambein@mac.com>;
<freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 9:54 AM

> Hi!
>
> > I'm unclear whether I'm totally correct, but "FBSD doesn't support
> > internal modems" is something I see quite often on these lists.
>
> AFAIK FreeBSD does support internal modems, as long as they are not
> "winmodems". So, I would correct the statement above to "FBSD
> doesn't support vast majority of winmodems".

Yes, I suppose that is even more correct.  So many people I deal with
use nothing but winmodems and therefore I often forget that there are
still card modems that actually do their own processing.  Correction
accepted and restated :-)

> Another thought - using the latest version of FreeBSD, which
> is 4.5, *might* give better results. FreeBSD 2.2.7 is quite old.

No doubt on that one either.  I use -STABLE myself on at
least one FBSD box, but am a relative stranger to ppp, etc.
Hopefully Magnus's 3Com is usable, then, so which device
node does he need?

KDK