Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:26:35 -0700
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@priori.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qmail v. sendmail

>I am currently setting up one of our 'closet' machines, an old 486/33
>w/16mb of ram, to serve as a Majordomo machine. I want to get as much
>performance out of the machine as possible (though my expectations aren't
>very high).

Obviously not considering that Majordomo is written in PERL.

> My question: does anyone out there have any input on qmail? I
>am considering dumping Sendmail for qmail

Oh my God! Expectations are dropping lower by the minute. Qmail is great
stuff, in fact I run qmail for our inhouse company mail here, but it is the
worst mailer to use for a mailing list machine. Try zmailer instead if
performance is what you want.

And dump Majordomo. Instead install procmail and use it with Smartlist.
That will perform very nicely on a 486 machine.

Michael Dillon                    voice: +1-650-482-2840
Senior Systems Architect            fax: +1-650-482-2844
PRIORI NETWORKS, INC.              http://www.priori.net

"The People You Know.  The People You Trust."