Date:      Sun,  9 Jan 2000 00:06:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      ahd@kew.com (Drew Derbyshire)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4 BSD forever?

Damn, I gotta stop reading my mail as root.  When I reply I forget
the GECOS file refers to my Polar bear (who literally sits on
one of the machines ....
(http://www.kew.com/kendra/gallery/creatures/ahd-monitor-97.jpg)

In any case, a general reply to a private comment which called
my previous comment "absurd" ...

Say FreeBSD 4.4 and then say BSD 4.4.  Then say 4.4 and say 4.4.
What's the difference?

The readers of -Stable are close enough to FreeBSD to assume a difference,
or presume FreeBSD 4.4 if no comparision is made, just as they know
-Stable is FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.org.  Many others, further from
the world of FreeBSD, will know only enough to be confused.

It's similar story to an old release of Kermit-MS which was numbered
3.01 - 3.09 ...  and then when the version went to 3.10 people were
confused.  The author knew 3.01 was not 3.10, but some poor user
who reads it as 3.1 doesn't know.  So it shall be with BSD 4.x and
FBSD 4.x.

Go ahead, treat the numbering as something for "those in the know"
to be the only ones who can get it right.

-ahd-