Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:30:35 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mb recommendation

On Tuesday 25 April 2006 17:09, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:12:15PM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:

> > > 4 GB of memory (4x1GB Kingston ECC) and the option to remap memory >
> > > 4GB set to on in the BIOS.
> >
> > You should try without the memory remap option
>
> Without it, only 3GB of RAM are usable.

more or less 3.5 - 3.7, yes

this is the southbridge limitation but your system does not crash anymore

> > On other boards I know this options make the kernel crash, seems that
> > some drivers are going to be allocated over 4GB and then they are not
> > accessible
>
> Every OS I tested was an amd64 one. Memory adresses > 4GB are not an
> issue with them.

this is not an OS problem but a driver problem if we can call it a problem

> Besides, all other components (software and hardware) worked fine with
> Supermicro and Tyan mainboards, so clearly the Asus A8V-E-SE is at fault
> here.

the memory hole setting is discussible but this is a normal issue on all MBs

but even with the memory remap option enabled you do not get access to 4GB =
of=20
RAM

Jo=E3o