Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:40:04 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        shorty@iii.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: option GATEWAY and DNS

> If the times in the SOA are reasonable *and* you remember to update the
> SOA serial number whenever you update any contents (I forget remarkably
> often :-(, then (and only then) it is automatic.

I typically use CVS or SCCS (depending on the box) to maintain DNS.  I
use a makefile to update the serial number YYMMDDXX so up to 100 changes
a day are OK.  The makefile also restarts the daemons.

It's a pretty trivial method of doing things.

Generally, I use a tree based on address inverse map hierarchy and
logical subnetting (one SOA per subnet/logical subnet per tree level.

Maybe we need a net administration utility that knows about setting
up the various legal net/subnet configurations and maintaining the
DNS correctly... I'm not volunteering for this one, though.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.