Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:12:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: same interface Route Cache

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> That's the way Internet routing is supposed to work.  If your routing
> table says a packet supposed to go one way, and it really needs to go
> another way, that's *user error* -- if you misconfigure your routing,
> FreeBSD will do what you ask it to; it can't read your mind!
There are legitimate reasons why you may want more flexibility than simple
destination-based routing. I.E. Having two connections, one satellite
(fast cheap but high-latency) and one long-distance modem connection
(slow, expensive but low-latency) and dynamically routing telnet packets
over the modem connection. Or, traffic engineering: routing packets from a
certain blocks over a certain interface, etc.

-alex