Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:37:02 -0600
From:      "Andy Akins" <andyakins@earthlink.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   CVSUP and ports

Okay, this is probibly a newibie question...but since I'm a newbie, I
thought I'd ask. If anyone can either answer or point me to some docs I'd
appreciate it.

I've installed FreeBSD 4.2 from the CDs, and everything is running great. So
then I set up cvsup. I'm not much of a cutting edge person - so I set my tag
to be RELENG_4 to get the stable rather than current branch. I set up the
other parameters, (for example, I'm cvsup'ing my /usr, not a cvs repository,
and I'm refusing the non-english languages, etc)...and I request src-all,
ports-all, and doc-all.

Well, some of you might know what happened. Cvsup deleted all my ports.
*poof*.

Looking through the Complete FreeBSD, I discover what I had missed: that for
ports the only relevant tag is ., or CURRENT.

Now getting the ports back is no big deal - I've got the CDs. But my
question is: how do I keep my ports up to date?

Do I:
    a) Have to be running CURRENT, rather than STABLE? I'd prefer
STABLE...but I really want the up to date ports, especially X-Free 4,
becuase I have an ATI Radeon....or,
    b) Do I need two separate cvsup-files...one with a tag of RELENG_4 for
src-all and one with a tag of . for ports-all and doc-all, and I run cvsup
twice..
    c) Or something else...

Thanks for any help you can offer...

    Andy Akins