Date:      Sun, 5 May 1996 12:12:18 +0200 (SST)
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        archie@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: xntpd server

Hello!

Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com> wrote:
> How does one get xntpd running on a server so that local machines
> can use it for time synchronization (clients using ntpdate)?
>
> Even though xntpd is running and there are some packets exchanged
> (detected with EtherNet sniffer), the ntpdate command on the client
> yeilds "no suitable servers for synchronization found" ...
>
> I'd like to have the server synchronizing from some "unspecified"
> source, for now external Internet servers but in the future possibly
> a radio. So in either case, the server would service requests using
> whatever the system time was.

What a coincidence! Yesterday I was assigned the task of coordinating
time among our freebsd-servers. I started playing with xntpd and
ntpdate. I got "no suitable servers ..." every time, so I looked in
the code.

Seems that ntpdate (and probably also xntpd) requires a server with stratum
less than 16 to synchronize time with that server. The problem is that
all our freebsd-servers have stratum=16.

So, how do I either lower a servers local stratum or make the programs
accept servers with stratum=16? Seems to me that this requirement is there
for a reason, that's why I'd rather not hack the code if I can avoid it.

Peter Olsson    pol@leissner.se