Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 1995 22:28:29 -0600
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Small syscons change

> > DEC's cute but bizzarre line wrap behaviour strikes again.

> > You wouldn't believe what I had to do to get it to work right when
emulating
> > the VT100 on other terminals...

> Where'd you do your work?

I did it in-house so people could use VMS software on non-DEC terminals. It
was tested to work (defined as being usable, not crashing) even with a
televideo
terminal versus the VT100 torture test. I never used Term, but compared to
Procomm we were way ahead.

DEC sold our people on their SMG library, then when the systems were delivered
we found that nothing important actually used SMG, so I pulled the VT100 code
out of a shareware terminal emulator I did back in '82 and made it a bit more
robust.

Some of the "genuine" vt100 behaviour was only documented as "EDT on RSX-11/M
generates this sequence and it does this"... I would swear DEC engineers were
*using* bugs in the implementation.

The program's cute. It's a filter that converts VT100 to whatever your
termcap entry is, subject to what it can figure out from your termcap.

More company-owned software though. I can't believe what they have it on the
books for, considering it was an emergency hack.