Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:58:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks for serial console ...

> In message <38397.915473345@zippy.cdrom.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> >> Not at all.   Ever heard of a padlock?
> >
> >Give me physical access to your machine, with or without a padlock,
> >and I'll have root on that baby before you have a chance to come back
> >from lunch.
> >
> >I think the original comment that there's no security without physical
> >security has definite merit.  The NSA learned this decades ago! :)
>
> Uhm, well there is, but it is called "tamper-proof hardware" and costs
> a fortune.

It's not "tamper-proof", it's "tamper-resistant", and I can suggest a
wide range of "tampering" hardware that it won't stand up to for long.

But Garrett's point is actually quite valid; there's a fairly wide gap
between "I will just fiddle with the console" and "I will walk into the
server room with a pair of bolt cutters", and all that's required to
close that gap is changing boot2 to not wait that couple of seconds
before launching the loader, or to ignore the keyboard while it is.

The latter would actually be easier, given its current design; add a
'-X' option to /boot.config to disable the keyboard.  Diffs happily
accepted.