Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:13:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        hosokawa@jp.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Well, I finally bought a test laptop and decided to jump in...

Nothing special, just a little "Compaq Armada" which was on sale for
$1100, but I also got a small selection of PCCARD periphs for it and
intend to use it for testing and debugging the pccard support.

Some initial impressions:

When I first got it, I did what everybody else probably does and
grabbed the 2.2.2 PAO floppy for installation (this laptop
deliberately does not have a CDROM, so I need to do installs the hard
way :-).  It dutifully found my LINKSYS ethernet device and before
long I was doing an NFS install from my mounted 2.2.2 CD.  So far,
so good.

Now I'm up with 2.2.2 and the pccard support has, of course,
disappeared so I'm patching in the PAO-970616 stuff and I'm noticing
that some of the "patch it and make it work" Makefile stuff is a bit
out of date (e.g. for a different version of the PAO stuff), but
things are still reasonably straight-forward and I soon have a pccard
enabled kernel of my own.  Then comes the hassling with the contents
of /etc/*pccard* and getting them updated, but after a few false
starts and the insertion of a 10 second sleep into the file which
starts pccardd so that it can have my ethernet device configured
_before_ the other ifconfig stuff is run, it's working.  Yay.

Conclusions: This is harder than it needs to be and it really should
be better integrated with the system - I understand that some of this
stuff is "experimental", but where better to test and develop it than
in FreeBSD's CVS repository?

The same also goes for the PAO floppy installation hacks - it would be
nice to bring this back into the mainstream install so that a
boot-pao.flp image could be built automatically along with the 3.0
SNAPs which are currently rolling out of current.freebsd.org on those
days when -current is buildable. ;-).  I'm not sure if one generic
boot.flp can be built with a "are you on a laptop?" question at the
very beginning, but we should at least be able to build the floppy as
an extra image.

To all these ends, I'm willing to help test, integrate and import this
stuff into -current but I need to know if the 2.2.2 stuff is a good
starting place.  Some things appear to no longer be quite in sync
there, such as the shutdown mods which don't appear to use the fancier
callout list that was introduced in 3.0, and I'm also fairly sure that
a little editing will have to take place with the /etc files to bring
them up to date.  I'm also not sure about the current state of
integration with the APM code - the patches there would not apply at
all, leading me to believe that the APM bits in the 2.2.2 PAO kit are
already in -current.

Shall we get this stuff into 3.0?  It's light-years better than what
we have now, and had it not been for the PAO kit I would not have had
an easy time of installing this machine at all.  By not integrating
the PAO stuff in all this time, we've denied laptop users the ability
to install the 3.0 SNAPs and that's an unfortunate situation which
should be fixed.

Comments?

						Jordan