Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 18:42:50 -0400
From:      Myron Plichota <myron.plichota@sympatico.ca>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Package compression format changed

I am an enthusiastic FreeBSD newbie, just smart enough to search for a
mailing list like this one. Would it be possible to make an exception to
the new .tbz format package policy for pkg_add itself (i.e. provide it
in .tgz format)? I suggest this in the hope that a painless and simple
upgrade could be performed using something like:

 pkg_add -r pkg_add

This is assuming that there are no other technical obstacles. If this
notion is nogo then what is the simplest alternative?

Please pardon my ignorance. I see that this thread subsided on a note of
resolution, but I'm daunted by the implications for the time being. Not
for long I hope.

Myron Plichota