Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:19:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mark J. Taylor" <mtaylor@cybernet.com>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Define MAXMEM in GENERIC

It is trivial (we did it for 2.2.x) to add a boot option
to always, or never, perform a speculative memory probe.

For our NetMAX product (shameless plug: http://www.netmax.com/),
which is 2.2.7+ based (we're working on a 3.1 version), we've
added two additional boot options:
  1)  -M   always perform speculative memory probe
  2)  -m   never perform speculative memory probe

We have one machine here that has 64 MB RAM that (used to) hang
or reboot during the speculative probe.  The "-m" option works great.
We go in to either userconfig to modify the npx0 device to set the RAM
size, or use our "kset" program to modify kernel devices, so we don't
have to boot "-m" subsequently.

Anyone interested in code?

-Mark Taylor
NetMAX Developer