Date:      Fri, 9 Mar 2001 19:25:49 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@netzuno.com>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>
Subject:   interface specification extension for ipfw

Hi,

I am currently building a firewall using ipfw, and I am facing a small
issue. In order to group my rules in some meaningfull way (to me), the first
thing I do is split the packets per interface. Depending on the recv
interface, I go to a different region of the ruleset using "skipto".
Now, according to the ipfw man page, packets generated by or destined to the
local host will not have recv or xmit interface information respectively.

This make it a bit difficult to separate the traffic for the localhost from
the rest. In order to make this easy, being able to specify the interface in
a negative way would be required:

ipfw count from any to any in recv !any

Alternativelly, using a separate interface keyword to identify the locally
generated or destined packets would be nice too, although it would be a bit
less powerfull than the negation (the keyword would only be equivalent to
"!any" and it would not allow something like "!ed0").

Now is something like this already implemented (in that case I guess it is
undocumented), or is it something that people (beside me) would find useful
?

Patrick.