Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:51:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ldconfig and libraries

In article <XFMail.990131121008.asmodai@wxs.nl>,
Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai  <asmodai@wxs.nl> wrote:

> I just want to verify a few things before I go off ranting about broken
> stuff in CURRENT.
>
> are libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib tied to naming standards?

To be recognized by ldconfig, an a.out shared library must have a
name that ends with ".so." followed by at least two version numbers,
like this:

    libfoo.so.12.0

It accepts names with > 2 version numbers, but anybody who puts such a
library into our code base will be sentenced to a long, slow, painful,
suffering death. :-)

To be recognized by ldconfig, an ELF shared library must have a name
that ends with ".so." followed by exactly one version number, like
this:

    libfoo.so.12

> for example, is this an accepted name for ldconfig:
>
> libgmodule-1.1.so.12.0

For a.out: yes.  For ELF: no.

> Also, should a library have special permissions?

It just has to be readable.

> Every library found by ldconfig in the specified paths should be
> reported back with ldconfig -r, right?

Only the ones with names that fit the rules above.

John
  "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public."
                                                            -- H. L. Mencken