Date:      04 Apr 2001 05:09:42 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre-lists@noos.fr>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: configuration files, XML?

here, are some usefull links which may help :

http://oss.sgi.com/projects/rhino/
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/1.2/projects.html (netinfo)

humm! webmin ;^)

well, since I didn't know anything about xml nor sgml. I'll just try
to explain some sort of concept using a basic example of what it could
be possible to do.

public description file :
<doctype "std - passwd">
<include "std - shells">
<file>
  <name=/etc/passwd> <type=path>
</file>
<format name=passwd mode=line separator=:>
  <name=user> <type=string> <size=8>
  <name=uid> <type=range> <from=0> <to=65536>
  <name=gid> <type=range> <from=0> <to=65536>
  <name=gecos> <type=string> <format=gecos>
  <name=home> <type=path>
  <name=shell> <type=path> <valid=shells>
</format>
<format name=gecos mode=line separator=,>
  <name=name> <type=string>
  <name=building> <type=string>
  <name=office phone> <type=string>
  <name=home phone> <type=string>
</format>

public description file :
<doctype "freebsd - passwd">
<include "std - passwd">
<file>
  <name=/etc/master.passwd> <type=path>  (not really true)
</file>
<method get>
  <name=pw> <type=program>
  <arg1=user> <type=string>
  <arg2=show> <type=string>
</method>
<method post>
  <name=passwd.so> <type=shlib>
  <name=setpwent> <type=function>
</method>

/whatever/passwd.xml :
<include "freebsd - passwd"> (nothing more)

the idea is to keep data where they are in the format they are and to
have some sort of configurable api which interpret them through the
appropriate gui. maybe I am totally wrong about the xml possibilities ?

Cyrille.
--
home: mailto:clefevre@poboxes.com   UNIX is user-friendly; it's just particular
work: mailto:Cyrille.Lefevre@edf.fr   about who it chooses to be friends with.