Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:42:04 +0200
From:      Florent Peterschmitt <florent@peterschmitt.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zpool labelclear destroys GPT data

------enig2FHMQPSPQCCRTBHANWNQH

Le 14/06/2013 09:35, Johan Hendriks a =E9crit :
> Kimmo Paasiala schreef:
>> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM, Johan Hendriks
>> <joh.hendriks@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>> I will try it on the actual zfs partition.
>>>
>>> But imho it is a bad thing that it destroys the whole disk layout.
>>> It does not remove ZFS label information, it removes ALL label
>>> information
>>> on the disk or device you give it
>>>

>>> regards
>>> Johan Hendriks
>>> Neuteboom Automatisering
>>>
>> Of course, zpool(8) will do exactly what you tell it to do. It does
>> not know about any partitioning schemes and assumes that the user
>> knows that using labelclear on a the whole disk will potentially
>> destroy all data on it including any partitioning information.
>>
>> -Kimmo
> Well as i found out, zpool(8) does not know what it clears. ! :D
>=20
> I think an adjustment to the man page is in order here.
> The man page clearly state it removes ZFS labels, not GPT, gmirror and
> glabel labels.
> It should mention it will remove labels from the disk/device, and that
> it clears ALL labels.

I agree with that, I thought too that zpool cleared only ZFS related
labels. Thankfully no damage for me because it was in a script that wipe
out the entire disk.

> regards
> Johan Hendriks

--=20
Florent Peterschmitt           | Please:
florent@peterschmitt.fr        |  * Avoid HTML/RTF in E-mail.
+33 (0)6 64 33 97 92           |  * Send PDF for documents.
http://florent.peterschmitt.fr | Thank you :)