Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 02:06:26 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: in-kernel HTTP Server for FreeBSD?

* Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> [020218 01:43] wrote:
> Alfred writes:
>
> > Yes, throwing out several hundred boxes and
> > replacing them certainly sounds cost effective
> > to me.
>
> Don't buy them in the first place.  That's what mainframes are for.

Afaik mainframes are for people that have several hundred thousand
or a couple of million in the bank to toss at a problem.

While it would be nice to have that kind of money to throw around
most of us simply don't and even if we did, for the most part they
would be a tremendous waste of capital to throw at a startup-like
venture.

It's hard to sell someone on the idea that they need to purchase a
mainframe in order to do scaleable load balancing or track web
vistors for hundreds of millions of visitors per day when the current
peak is looking like only several thousand.

> > Telling me to just throw in a larger CPU
> > doesn't do me much good when my intention
> > is to utilize the fastest currently available
> > hardware to its fullest potential.
>
> The fastest hardware available is a mainframe.  Did you ever try using those
> instead of little boxes?

Going out on a limb I'd be hard pressed to find a mainframe that
has an entry level cost of five to ten thousand dollars.  Even
at that price it's still cuts into per-unit sales by far too much.

I think that given the opportunity to own a mainframe for free I
would not turn it down, however I'm more inclined to think that it
would remain in my apartment to serve as a conversation piece rather
than deployed. :)  I sort of think the costs to keep it running
(space, power and maintaince) would overshoot the profitability of
the venture I was involved in. :)

Anyhow, it seems that no matter how I refute your poorly thought
out arguments you change your position in order to stand behind or
point out some non-applicable, non-scalable non-solution involving
even more expensive and/or non-existant hardware.  I think the
lesson to be learned here is that if you are unaware of the issues
being tackled and apparently unwilling to ask or take a hint when
refuted about them you should butt-out.  That said I think this
conversation (you can thank me for being so kind to call it that)
is over.

-Alfred