Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 09:04:30 -0700
From:      Donald Acton <acton@opentext.com>
To:        RaTd0g <wself@baic.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC 9332BDT 10/100 Ethernet card

> Has anyone had positive results using the newer 9332 from SMC?
>
> I have had trouble due to different changes made in the card.  Linux and
> Win95 both required updated drivers.
>
> Under FreeBSD, the card lights are active until FreeBSD detects the card,
> at which point the lights turn off, and the card goes dead.  ifconfig
> still shows the card as active with an ip address.  "ifconfig de0 down"
> does not remove this information, and the card continues to showup as
> acitve, although the lights on the back of the card are all off.
>
> Any ideas?

This sounds very familiar to the problem I was having with the 9332BDT. So
here is what I did to get FreeBSD 2.2.2 running using that card.

For references purposes, here is what the boot sequence reports about my card.

Jul 25 16:40:52 tofino /kernel: de0: enabling 10baseT port
Jul 29 08:26:05 tofino /kernel: de0 <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> rev 34 int
a irq 11 on pci0:10
Jul 29 08:26:05 tofino /kernel: de0: SMC 9332BDT 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.2
Jul 29 08:26:05 tofino /kernel: de0: address 00:e0:29:06:3c:d2
Jul 29 08:26:05 tofino /kernel: de0: media: 1="10baseT" 2="Full Duplex
10baseT" 3="100baseTX" 4="Full Duplex 100baseTX"

I was having the following sorts of problems:

 - Card would always come up in 100baseT mode even though on a 10base-T network
 - On occassion could do a sequence of ifconfigs to get it into 10base-T mode
   but transfer rate was poor and driver would often report a failure and
   not come back to life
 - This was all under 2.2.2-Release with the generic kernel

I went to 3am Software's home page http://www.3am-software.com/
and checked out the tips there. I also got the new de drivers from that
page and installed them. (These drivers are newer than the ones in
2.2.2-release, but you should verify that is the case with the version of
FreeBSD you are using.) The final step to really get things going was to
recompile the kernel with NMBCLUSTERS set to 4096 with the following line in
my kernel configuration file.

options         NMBCLUSTERS=4096

With the above changes I was able to get files transfer rates on 200MB files
in excess of 900Kbytes/second. We did, however, discover one problem card that
wouldn't work even after all the changes were made, although that card seems
to work fine under Windows NT 4.0. Most of these tips came from Matt Thomas at
3am Software.

Hope this helps and I'd be interested in hearing how you make out.

Donald Acton
acton@opentext.com