Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2006 10:24:26 +0400
From:      Sergey Matveychuk <sem@FreeBSD.org>
To:        PauAmma <pauamma@gundo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: PR ports/76915 fell through the cracks?

PauAmma wrote:
> On Wed, 31 May 2006, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 12:49:35AM -0500, PauAmma wrote:
>>>
>>>   When /var (or whichever filesystem holds PKG_DBDIR) is mounted noexec,
>>>   attempts to deinstall ports will fail and leave a mess behind if the
>>>   port has a require or deinstall script. This patch checks for that and
>>>   skips deinstalling if that is the case.
>>
>> I don't know that it's a worthwhile problem to solve.
>
> It is for me, or I wouldn't have done it, obviously. But you're a
> committer and I'm not, so I'm hardly in a position to argue. Still, I'm
> curious. What's your rationale?

1. You add a quite bulk of code that just warn user.
2. You add running of a few utilities to check it. It increase time on
deinstalling and people who newer mount /var as noexec (the most I
guess) will unhappy.

And we suppose a user who mount /var with noexec flag should know he got
in troubles.

--
Dixi.
Sem.